A Travellerspoint blog

Campo Grande-Brasilia-Salvador



After the Pantanal I got dropped off at a hostel in Campo Grande full of weird dirty men. The next day I got out of there as soon as possible and took a bus to Brasilia at 11 in the morning and arrived in the capital the next day at the same time. After 24 hours in the bus I felt greasy and gross and just wanted to get to my hostel to spend a day there as Brasilia is not very exciting and then continue to Salvador. Only in Brasilia nobody had heard of my hostel and some even claimed the address didnt exist. I got taken to the bus depot with an older lady and two men non of who spoke english. The lady called her daughter and the only thing I understood was that she said to her daughter she was with a gringa who spoke no english and was lost. At the depot they all got in a car and took me with them to a parking lot where the daughter was waiting. The daughter, married to an American, spoke English and I explained the situation to her. She tried to call the hostel for me but the number was out of order and so I stood there no knowing what to do when she asked me what the hell I was doing here on my own. Not what you want to hear when you are lost, a local telling you you are crazy travelling through their country on your own. I ended up getting her business card and phone number as a back up plan with my first plan now being getting a bus to Salvador straight away. The two men got in their car again as did I and dropped me off at the right bus terminal, when I got out they both said, what I understood to be, may god be with you. Blessed and paniced I walked into the terminal to find a ticket and bought one for 5 hours later. With no internet cafe in the terminal I walked across the highway via piss smelling bridge to a massive shopping mall in an attempt to find internet but as it was sunday only the food court of the mall was open. Thank god for Diego the securityguard who gave me a phone card so I could arrange a hostel for Salvador as I didnt want to get into the same situation again. After having waited 5 hours I got on to another bus for another 24 hours and finally arrived in Salvador monday night. Salvador is like nothing I had ever seen before. It is hectic, chaos everywhere. Its like the city is build around nature instead of nature regrowing around the city after having been chopped down by humans. The setting is hilly and tropical rain forest and little streams of water inbetween patches of houses as if they have been randomly thrown around the city. My hostel was the old center of town which is filled with colorful colonial buildings, cobstone sidestreets and a church on each corner. Every tuesday night there is a party in town with music and drums on all the squares and plazas, an amazing experience and what you imagine carnaval to be like only on a larger scale. Finally there is the bonfim church, the church were those colorful ribbons come from everybody who has visited brazil wears around their wrists. The ribbons are supposed to be tied around the door knobs or fence outside the church with three knots and with each knot you get a wish. Exactly what I needed after my adventure in Brasilia.... And off I was to Ilheus.

Posted by LaPoderosa 08:12 Archived in Brazil

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint